During the 2012 Games, Mandeville Place was called "World Square" and hosted the world's biggest MacDonalds, the BBC "Blue Container" studios and the merchandising areas.
The name Mandeville Place has been chosen to reflect the fact that the Paralympics started in Stoke Mandeville, England in 1952, and after the 2012 Mascot, Mandeville.
Taking inspiration from the use of apples in the 2012 Opening Ceremony, Mandeville Place features a stunning orchard. Working with local disabled people, Churchman Landscape Architects and Studio Weave, the area brings together apple and other fruit trees with man-made elements, such as a pavilion made from the original Athletes Village Paralympic Wall. You can read more about it at the Urban Orchard Project's blog, here.
Fruit trees native to the homes of the 34 ParalympicsGB gold medallists from London 2012 have been planted:
What’s in a name?
A national schools competition was launched on National Apple Day, 21st October, to find a name for a brand new variety of apple that will be grown there.
The delicious new variety of apple is being developed by mixing pollen from different apple blossoms and is only the third new apple variety to have been created in UK in the past 50 years. Children are encouraged to come up with a name that will reflect the legacy of the Paralympic Games and the winners will see the new tree grow in their school as well as at Mandeville Place.
The winning name, 'Paradice Gold', was submitted by three separate schools and combines the word Paralympic with the first letter of each of the Paralympic values; Determination, Inspiration, Courage and Equality.
The Pavilion in the centre of Mandeville Place serves to commemorate the Paralympic medal winners. The clear bricks used within the Pavilion columns are recycled from the Truce Wall that was erected within the 2012 Athlete's Village.
Pavilion Floor Text
History of Mandeville Place
During World War II, the north end of Mandeville Place was the site of an Italian prisoner of war camp - “Camp 30” - and there was another camp nearby for German prisoners of war.
The prisoners made friends among the locals, and an official report stated, “The most important factor in their re-education has been the excellent civilian contacts and this in spite of the fact that the majority of the men have been stationed in the heart of the East End of London.”
Many of the prisoners stayed on after the war, adding to the multi-cultural nature of the East End of London.
The camp was closed in 1948.
These WWII camps were not the only prisoner of war camps close to the Park, however. Just outside the Park on Carpenters Road just the other side of the railway line was a World War I internment camp for a thousand German prisoners. It had a very unsavoury reputation for mistreatment and cruelty. The Stratford Camp was opened in December 1914 and closed in 1917. It was based in the then-disused William Ritchie & Sons jutespinners’ factory.